Step 1: Preparation
- Fill in your Practice Schedules.
- Ask your teacher to help set priorities for this week.
- For daily exercises, scales etc.:
- Subdivide each exercise or technique into 3 to 10 minute segments.
- For your repertoire:
- Decide how long you will practice each piece.
- Divide the time and piece into managable practice sessions.
- Determine one priority to work on today for each piece.
(ex. intonation, shifting, dynamics, etc.)
Step 2: Practice
- Set the timer for your first planned practice session. Begin practicing. Don't stop until the timer rings.
- Set the timer for the next practice session and continue to practice.
- Important: Do not exceed or shorten the time you’ve planned for each exercise. You can make changes on tomorrow’s schedule.
- Use your metronome! You will develop an impeccable sense of rhythm.
Step 3: Review Your Progress
- Rest for at least 15 minutes after every hour of practice.
- Review what you’ve accomplished and write changes for tomorrow.